SomeActivities linked with

Some meals prepared using recipes from the British Heart Foundation.


website design software

Mrs Serena Somerville Cert EYP

Quality Assured

Accident & Emergency


Offering Government funded Early Education as well as Great Quality Personal Home from Home Childcare!

Not ‘just’ a Childminder Serena is a certified Early Years Practitioner delivering the Governments Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum to 0 - 5 year olds.

Serena is a qualified Early Years Practitioner who works closely with Dorset County Council and other Early Years providers.

Accident and Emergency

It is my policy to keep children safe when they are in my care.

My premises have been checked by Ofsted and they meet the requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage in England. I also regularly review, update and practise fire evacuation procedures. I record dates and times of fire drills.


Accidents to minded children, childminder’s own children, or the childminder

As a registered childminder, I am legally required to have a valid first-aid certificate before registration.  

I can administer basic first-aid treatment, and my first-aid box is clearly labelled and easily accessible. It is stored in the main room used for childminding. Parent contact numbers are kept securely with the first-aid box.

I hold written permission from parents in their child record forms and additional consent forms, to seek emergency treatment for their child if it is needed.

I also have an arrangement with another registered childminder to provide emergency back-up cover if necessary, details below.


Procedure (how I will put the statement into practice)

If there is an accident to a minded child or childminder’s own children:

First, I reassure the injured child while making sure that the other children in my care are safe. This may mean strapping a baby in a buggy or sitting an older child somewhere safe (high chair etc) where I can see them.


Then, if the accident is a minor one and requires only basic first aid, I deal with it myself. If not, I will ring 999 for help.


If I have to accompany or take a child to hospital, I either take the other children with me, or call my emergency back-up cover. This will be another registered childminder or known responsible adult. These people will be made known to parents at the settling-in visit and are named below.

If there is an accident, my emergency back-up cover may contact you and you will be expected to collect your child straight away.

If I manage to deal with the accident myself, then I will tell the affected child’s parents immediately and advise of any first aid treatment given.

If I accompany or take a child to hospital, I will contact the child’s parent and ask them to meet me at the hospital.

If I or any of my own children have an accident, I will get the nearest responsible adult to help, while my emergency back-up people are being contacted.

I will do my best at all times to make sure the children in my care are safe, reassured and kept calm.


Accidents off site:

I will carry parents’ contact details with me when I am away from my home, in order to follow procedures above should an accident occur off site.


Other emergencies:

Should any other emergency occur (such as a terrorist attack, or a member of my family becoming ill in my home) I will contact parents as soon as possible. I expect that parents will also contact me in the event of any accident or emergency which may befall them.

Should it not be possible for parents to contact me, then I will keep the children safe until such time as parents can make contact with me.



I will record all details in my accident book, and make these available for parents to sign and provide a copy for parents (hard copy is stored in the child's secure file, while a digital copy is placed in the child's Google Drive file).

If the incident is significant e.g. if a child is taken to hospital for a broken bone I will inform Ofsted, the local child protection agency, the Health and Safety Executive and my insurance company as soon as is reasonably practicable but in any event within 14 days of the incident occurring.


Emergency back-up cover


Back-up registered childminder


Name:  Mrs Susie Ensor

Telephone: 07748 596991

Known responsible adult





[Home] [About Me] [EYFS] [Information Sharing] [Vacancies] [Gallery] [Policies] [Complaints] [Accident & Emergency] [Alcohol & drugs] [Behaviour] [Confidentiality] [Food & Drink] [Health & safety] [illness & infectious diseases] [Inclusion] [Lost Child#] [Medicines] [Outings] [Risk Assessment] [Safeguarding] [Smoking] [Uncollected Child] [Working with parents]